The Best German Potato Salad

I have been going to Jacob Wirths in Boston for a long time-My father and I would go there on Friday nights before a Bruins game
There Potato Salad was the best I had ever tasted--I do not like mayonnaise in anything and there salad was sans mayo-

Lately there cooks have lost the receipt or just do not know how to cook it like in the old days so I have been experimenting and have finally duplicated what I believe is the best German potato salad in the Universe

I will share here

* 3 pounds new potatoes or red leave skin on and trim stems
* 1 yellow onion, quartered
* 1/2 pound bacon, diced
* 1 large red onion, diced
* 3/4 cup cider vinegar
* 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
* 1/4 cup canola oil
* Salt and freshly ground pepper
* 8 green onions, thinly sliced
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves

Place potatoes in a large pot with the onion and cover with cold water. Cook, on the stove top until tender. Drain, discard the onion, and cut the potatoes into cubes-I like slices about 1/8" thick when cool enough to handle. Place the potatoes in a large bowl and cover to keep warm.

Place a large saute pan on the stove. Add the bacon and cook until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Add the onions to the rendered bacon fat and cook until soft, about 3 to 4 minutes. Carefully add the vinegar and mustard seeds and cook for 2 more minutes. Whisk in the canola oil and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Add the hot dressing to the potatoes and toss gently to coat. Fold in the green onions and parsley. Season again with salt and pepper, to taste.
This receipt is also a favorite of Bobby Flay from Food network but he does his on the grill

Comments