Madonna publicly pleas for Mercy adoption to Malawi's Nation newspaper


Madonna still hopes to adopt a 3-year-old Malawian girl named Mercy, she declared this weekend.

"I want to provide Mercy with a home, a loving family environment and the best education and healthcare possible," the Material Girl said in an e-mail to Malawi's Nation newspaper.

"It's my hope that she, like David, will one day return to Malawi and help the people of their country."

Madonna came under fire from human rights organizations in 2006 after she adopted 3-year-old David Banda from the impoverished African nation. The organizations alleged that she used her star power to bend the rules - both in Malawi and Britain, where she lives for part of the year.

David's adoption was finalized in May 2008.

The 50-year-old said in her e-mail that she can't publicly discuss her appeal to adopt Mercy, adding, "I do want to say how much I appreciate the level of support that I have received from the people of Malawi and my friends around the world."

Madonna's adoption bid was turned down earlier this month because she didn't meet the country's residency requirement of 18 to 24 months.

DAILY NEWS GOSIP

Comments